Amazon River – the river that not only South America but our entire planet cannot be imagined without – seems to have been explored length and breadth. But somehow every year scientists find out something about it they’ve never thought of before. We tried to gather most interesting and least-known facts about it in our feature.
- It owes its name to cultural knowledge of a Spanish conquistador Francisco de Orellana. While discovering South American lands in search for legendary El Dorado, conqueror and his troops sustained vicious attack of local aborigines and most bellicose among them were women. Upon having scarcely fought back, impressed Spaniard who wanted to give the river his own name first, recalled myths of Ancient Greece where a way of life of the Amazons was described – courageous representatives of the gentle sex. It was in their honor that Orellana called the basin.
- In twentieth century Amazon River was involved in a dramatic competition with Nile River for the title of the world’s longest river. Calculations after calculation showed it and African giant take lead in turns. Only by the end of the century South American researchers arrived at a consensus with their Egyptian colleagues and admitted: Nile River is indeed longer but Amazon River channels far larger amounts of fresh water. The argument was over at that but the question remains if it is going to stay like this forever even more so with a tributary discovered somewhere in the Andes, the one that Amazon River seems to be starting from. It adds some kilometers to its length that already exceeds 7000…
- If forests in general are “lungs of the planet” than tropics that spread along Amazon River constitute a superstation in terms of oxygen production. Just to think of it, over 20% of all air of the world is generated there. And all in all entire eco system is priceless for the planet therefore thoughtless deforestation is a global problem that needs to be solved in 21st century.
- Speaking about records, we cannot but mention the fact that inside Amazon River’s basin, in the territory of Brazil, world’s largest river island, Marajó, is situated. Its territory can be compared to the territory of Switzerland.
- It seems like this gigantomaina penetrates everything that has to do with Amazon River. Among unique plants and animals that inhabit the area, Victoria amazonica (once called Victoria regia) water lily is especially distinctive. Just to think of it, its leaves reach 3 meters in diameter and can hold weight up to 50 kilograms.
- Among animals inhabiting the river itself or neighboring territory, there are piranhas, cheetahs and anacondas however multi-colored frogs are considered most dangerous. There are several species of those, one scarier than another: venom of just one individual is enough to kill several dozens people at a time. Therefore locals wouldn’t even think of coming close to river banks without wearing extra thick boots.
- Indian tribes that live in the vicinity of Amazon River are still poorly studied. All because their way of life is very reclusive and places they inhabit are hard to reach even having modern means of transport. However these people are very interesting, take at least the Marubo tribe. They have an ancient tradition of playing drums night and day in the same rhythm shifting each other. Thank to it entire tribe have their pulse synchronized and all dwellers feel like they are one. Medical specialists confirmed that heartbeat rates are almost identical even if the ones of children and elderly people are compared.
- Amazingly, there still isn’t a single bridge build across Amazon River because not only is it long but also very wide – on some sections in periods of flood it turns into a real sea with about 80 kilometers of water between the banks! Only in 2010 a passage across one of its main tributaries Rio Negro was built. And altogether Amazon River has about 15 thousand tributaries…
- In 2011 it was recognized as one of New7Wonders of Nature.
5 tons of water fall off into the ravine every single moment, roaring, raising steam and disseminating spatter in all directions. ‘Liquid wall’ of Iguazu Falls extends its crescent on the border of Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay.
Today Outlook tells about another inspiring example of how a dream can become a lifetime project. Creation of one of the most successful channels in history of television – Discovery Channel, followed by a huge media empire Discovery Communications, simply cannot but motivate to own great engagements.
Good tourist is not just someone who is always quick off the mark and ready to embark on a journey any minute. It is the one who is also known for an ability to carefully plan holidays six months in advance. If you are one of them and already think where to go in summer - our next story about gigantic Issyk-Kul Lake and kinds of recreation there is for you.
This year it will have been 25 years since the moment of establishment of diplomatic relations between Japan and Ukraine. The events in the course of celebration of ‘Japan’s year in Ukraine’ have already been organized actively. As the sakura is the symbol of Japan, the Embassy starts campaign on the tree-planting of sakura along all the territory of Ukraine so as to give to majority of Ukrainians the possibility to savor its beauty.
Flower fields and valleys are impressive and attract attention of the most discerning connoisseurs of beauty. Multi-coloured deposits of fragrant plants adorn vast valleys of almost every country! We offer several floral destinations to suit every taste.
At the bare mention of the word lake, our imagination pictures soothing, nostalgia-laden images of quite pond cosily embraced by the grassy hills. OUTLOOK prepared a selection of the most spectacular lakes, which will change your understanding of this work of nature. Each of them has something to surprise, whether it is unusual water shade, or frightening ability to petrify living creatures.
Each state has its own official symbols: flag, coat of arms and anthem. But in addition to the traditional "identification mark" there are symbols chosen by people, for instance, a favourite bird. It is about them OUTLOOK expands below.
When I, as a little girl, for the first time passed my hand over trimmed bush, my palm got scratched with sharp edges of twigs and lasting arborvitae fragrance hit my nose. Mesmerized, I was not able to take my eyes away from the cones, balls and squares that surrounded me in the park of a small resort town. I felt like being inside a fairy tale, where behind the leaves I could notice a smile of the Cheshire Cat.
Very often nature tests people. From time to time we have to conquer and subjugate the elements. When men mastered construction of bridges, water obstacles have ceased to be a problem for humanity. However, what to do if a town is behind a pit, flatland or gorge? All-too-common "bridge" on pillars cannot be constructed everywhere. In such cases people resort to erecting viaducts, some of which are true works of art.
Ice and snow has long been used by artists to create different figures and objects, and only 1960, this age-old skill became a new trend of a land art! The largest number of winter artworks is created during special festivals about which we will tell our readers.
The cold season brings not only such important things as wrapping into a reindeer sweater, drinking hot chocolate and once again reviewing Christmas comedies. Thus, sport has not been canceled yet, so OUTLLOK compiled top five ski resort bucket list for you to cheer up and get out of your winter sleep.
When we hear about "water city", Venice immediately comes to mind, doesn’t it? Tranquil gondolas, narrow waterways, gentle light of the evening sun and ancient architecture create that heady romantic cocktail which attracts tourists from all over the world to the Italian city.
Each of us wants to escape rush of a city from time to time and lie low somewhere far from everything and anything. And it better be a place where one can listen to whisper of waves, feel light breeze and forever make friends with inimitably loud silence that muffles every disturbing thought…
Already on the way to the water, the strong smell of salt and sulphur hit my nose. Shore were dotted with bizarre-shaped yellow-white boulders, and the whole expanse of the sea was enveloped in mysterious, whitish haze. This strange place was very quiet: no birds, on holidaymakers on sun loungers, the sea looked like a huge pot with hot thick jelly that barely reacted with light rips in response to rather strong wind.
Lighthouse - this word evokes beautiful associations: sea adventures, storms, huge ships. And we do not want to dispel these thoughts, but rather to add fuel to the fire.Today we are sharing with you the quintet of amazing lighthouses!
Autumn promises that heat would gradually fade away and immediately presents with a choice: either to clutch at stewing days in warm countries or taste cool evenings and admire architecture without being distracted by sultriness.
A jewel-case of Turkey is full of pure wonders provoking an inspiration for fairy tale writer. When people first see blindingly white mountains in the midst of warm country, they experience various desires: someone wants to fall into white drifts and make a snow angel, as some people imagine that white cliffs taste sweet just like cotton candy...
Many city dwellers are irritated by cats, dogs or even pigeons in the streets. Attempts of zoo-advocates to save them from attacks of people and from starvation are mainly ineffective. But there are wonderful cities in this world where people perfectly coexist with deer, peacocks and cattle…
As a child I could spend hours gazing at the sky and spying majestic flocks of birds winging their way south. For a kid this movement was a real magic. Today my bookshelf hosts almost no books about magic, though I am still excited about feathered tribes travelling in hope to land on their winter grounds.
It has been known since olden times that wine-making process is a true art that is within the power only of the ones sincerely in love with their trade. Let alone beauty of masterpieces created by skillful hands – grape gardens, scattered in various nooks of the world, that impress with grandeur and adorn this planet, ornamenting it with bright juicy colors.